As we age, the accumulated effects of sun, pollutants, acne, and scarring can damage our skin and cause us to look older than we actually are. One way to treat and repair the skin is with a chemical peel.
Chemical peels exfoliate skin cells to improve the appearance of freckles, age spots, fine lines, skin tone and texture. Chemical peels are performed as mild peels (for improvement of texture, tone, and color) or as moderate peels for enhanced improvement of wrinkles, sun damage, age spots and superficial scars. (In place of deep chemical peels, laser resurfacing is typically a better choice.)
Chemical peels can be safely performed on all skin types and tones and can be performed on the face, neck, chest, arms, legs, and hands.
They can be used to:
- Reduce fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth
- Treat wrinkles caused by sun damage and aging
- Improve the appearance of mild scars
- Treat certain types of acne
- Reduce age spots, freckles, and dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills
- Improve the look and feel of skin
- Repair sun damage and reduce uneven pigmentation on the neck and chest
While chemical peels have a long history of safety, it’s important that you select an experienced provider to ensure desired results..